Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Why Reformed?

What does it mean to be Reformed? Why not just say Protestant or Presbyterian? Or, more importantly, why not just Christian?
Fair questions. I choose to be known as "Reformed" because it is a general term that is relatively unknown in the community where I live. While "Protestant" might do as well it is less specific and includes a number of possible implications which I'd have to spend time correcting. The same reasoning applies to the word "Christian." "Reformed" on the other hand is a provocative title which has a reasonably clear content to those who recognise the term and is relatively easy to explain to those who don't.
While I believe the Westminster Confession and the Three Forms of Unity contain the best summary of my beliefs they say little about attitude and that, dear reader, is very important. Attitude indicates how I approach writing, particularly, about those who differ in belief from me. Zeal for the honour of the Lord should not, in my opinion, require disrespect for those who sincerely hold different viewpoints. The Apostle Paul made the point well when he said: "There must be factions among you, that the good might be approved."
So, by all means feel free to differ with anything you see posted here, and make your views known. Be assured that, as long as your views are sincerely held, I will not ridicule or belittle you for holding those views. I may consider the viewpoint as foolish, misinformed or wrong but that will lead me to attempt to persuade you to a wiser, better informed or correct view or I may choose not to respond.
Dialogue in the comments may also lead to a new posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment