Friday, January 15, 2010

Differences of Opinion.

I ran into a group I had not heard of today: The Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals. As a result I am now aware of some other Reformed-thinking people in my local area (well, with 100 miles) and a few more Churches who are striving to stand for the same Gospel as I do. Two of those Churches belong to a group known as the Evangelical Presbyterian Church which has an interesting approach to the Westminster Confession and differences of opinion.

It is summed up in their motto: In Essentials ... Unity, In non-Essentials ... Liberty and in All Things ... Charity. This has let them stand firm on key issues within the framework of the Westminster Confession while rejoicing in their diversity over non-essential matters. Their history and a discussion with the two pastors of the above-mentioned churches made it quite clear that, when they said non-essential that's exactly what they meant. Here is freedom (as an example) for one congregation to sing, in the worship services, only the selections available in the Psalter while another can choose to sing other songs they consider to be honoring to God.

It reminded me that, sometimes, we can be so involved in denominational matters that we forget to encourage others of differing beliefs who hold to the same essentials. It's a little like the disciples who came to Christ and said they had seen some who were not of their group who were preaching the kingdom of heaven and had forbidden them to continue. Their rationale (though not expressed) was "whosoever is not for Christ is against him." We recognize this because, in our day and age, it is the common battle we have to confront.

Jesus response is a rebuke to us all. He said "Don't forbid them, because whosoever is not against me is for me." We confess in the Apostles' Creed that we believe "in the Holy Catholic Church" yet, so often, the only other Church groups we have real contact with are those who have passed a rigorous testing to become sister Churches. As a Calvinist I may find it difficult to agree that a Lutheran stands for exactly the same faith that I do. Yet, perhaps I should be willing to acknowledge in some way that my viewpoint may be more restrictive than that of the Lord of the Church.

We may find it impossible (as congregations) to be part of the same denomination as a Southern Baptist congregation, if we believe that born-again believers and their children ought to be baptized, yet surely there ought to be some organizational way to work together as those who stand for the same Reformed essentials. The Alliance mentioned above and similar organizations throughout the country should probably be better supported by those of us who are determined to defend the faith from modern errors. Paul, after all, saw differences of opinion (even on some pretty serious matters) as necessary for the good of the Church. Or have we forgotten that the Westminster Standards themselves do not view all their statements as having the same weight.

Oh, did I mention that the Greek word for "another opinion" is heresy - a word often translated today as faction? We really have added color to that word haven't we?

1 comment:

  1. Kaitiaki,

    I am Pastor Jeremy Lee one of the pastor-chairs of the NEMRS. I was thrilled for you to contact me via our blog. I would love to communicate further. I pastor the Twining Baptist Church, and my phone number is 989-867-4451.

    Seeking His Kingdom,
    Pastor Jeremy Lee

    ReplyDelete